Building Department

Permit Applications are available at our office or on our website and should be dropped off to our office prior to appointment arrangements, this will help to ensure that all required paperwork accompanies the application.  Appointments can also be arranged to discuss a proposed building permit application. 

Building Permit Fees  - A public meeting was held on February 17, 2015 at 7:00 p.m. in the Council Chambers to review the fee By-law 41-2013.  By-Law No. 7-2015 was passed on March 3, 2015 and came into force April 1, 2015; Schedule 'A' to By-law 7-2015 is the 2015 Permit & Fee Schedule.

See below for our application form and checklist

Building Codes - Standards

The use of Building Permits allows municipalities to regulate the types of construction in the community and ensure that proper building standards are met.

The enforcement of building codes serves to protect the health, safety and welfare of the public.

Martin Feeney

Chief Building Official,
By-law Enforcement Officer,
Septic Sewage Inspector

Phone: 519-271-0619 Ext 225
Fax: 519-271-0647

Office Hours:
8:30 am - 4:30 pm


Building Permits

A Building Permit is a license which grants legal permission to begin construction of any new structure, addition or renovation. It is issued only when the plans for construction comply with the Ontario Building Code, the Township of Perth South zoning by-laws and other applicable laws and regulations.

The following requires a building permit approved by the Chief Building Official:

  • New Buildings greater than 10 sq. m. (107 sq. ft.)
  • Additions (including Carports, Garages, Porches, etc.)
  • Renovations
  • Demolitions
  • Prefabricated Structures
  • Mobile Homes
  • Plumbing Systems, Heating, Ventilation
  • Fireplaces, Pools, Decks
  • Farm Buildings
  • Temporary Buildings

The following projects do not require a Building Permit:
Painting, landscaping, sidewalks, driveways, kitchen cupboards, eaves troughs or other cosmetic work.

Forms and Plans

In addition to the completed application form, applicants must also submit sketches, building drawings, plans and other documents to the municipality for processing. 
For exterior work, a floor plan, a cross section, a site plan and elevations will be required.
For interior work, a floor plan and a cross section drawing will be required.  Buildings that are over 3 stories or greater than 600 square metres will require an architect or an engineer to design and prepare plans for the building.
Applications for Building Permits can be obtained from the Municipal Office or on the link below.

 Universal Building Permit Application Form- Includes both Building and Sewage Permit Applications.
Please Note: Building interviews and inspections by appointment are preferred.

A sample - (basic) - Permit Application Checklist is available for your information thru this link, however, you are advised to contact the Chief Building Official for details on what your building permit application may require.

Frequently Asked Questions: Building Permits - Why and How....

Review Process

  • Applications are processed as quickly as possible depending on the complexity of the application, the completeness of drawings and information submitted and if referral to other departments is required
  • If a zoning change or minor variance is necessary, or if building plans must be altered to comply with the building codes, then the changes must be approved before a Building Permit can be issued.
  • Upon approval of the proposed construction, a Building Permit is granted to the applicant.
  • The construction must proceed as approved in the review process.
  • There will be inspections required for the project which will be conducted by the Building Inspector at each major phase of the construction.
  • The Inspector's duty is to ensure that the project is being carried out according to the Building Code, the Building Permit and the approved building plans. The individual responsible for the project must request each inspection with 24 hours advance notice given to the Building Inspector. If the Building Official finds, upon inspection, that some work does not conform to the approved plans or code, the owner will be advised (possibly with written notice) that the situation is to be remedied. If the violation is deemed serious enough, the Building Official may post a stop-work order which will be in effect until the problem is resolved. If work on the project continues without resolution of the problem, legal action may be taken against the builder/owner.
  • The builder must also bring any proposed deviations from the original plan to the attention of the Building Official  so that they can be approved or rejected in the same manner as the original building plans.

Building Permit Fee Annual Reports - reference Building Department Annual Report tab.

County Weed and Tree Inspector

Contact Marvin Smith    519-291-2236


Powered by CivicWeb CMS - © Copyright 2012 iCompass Technologies Inc.

background image for perth south