Municipal Drainage

A municipal drain is a drainage system and is created under the authority of the Drainage Act. There are 3 key elements of a municipal drain:
   1. Community Project
   2. Legal Existence
   3. Municipal Infrastructure

 Drainage Fact Sheet

Township of Perth South DRAINAGE MAP


The Township of Perth South is responsible for the maintenance, repair and improvement of all municipal drain infrastructures within the Municipal limits. The Drainage Act provides a procedure for landowners to overcome the obstacles of "Common Law" and to obtain solutions to their drainage problems. The Act sets out the procedures to be followed for maintenance, repair, and improvement of all current municipal drain under By-laws passed by the Council or new drains constructed under the Act.

Drain Information

Maintenance and Repair:

Section 74 of the Drainage Act requires a Municipality to maintain any drain constructed under the Drainage Act or any predecessor of the Act at the expense of the upstream lands and roads as set out in the last applicable By-Law. Drain maintenance is by request only from any road authority or landowner within the watershed limits of the drain. Request forms are available by contacting the Municipal Office. Maintenance work is eligible for agricultural grants to those properties listed in MPAC with the Farm Property Class Tax Rate.

To download a copy of the Municipal Drain Maintenance Request Form - For Sole Ownership; For Partnership; For Corporation


If an existing drain requires significant repair and as a result the repair includes changing the original drain's infrastructure in a way that is different from the original engineered plans, an application should be filed under Section 78 - Repair & Improvement. Examples of this include widening, lengthening, deepening a drain, etc.  - FORM

Petition Drains:

Under Section 4 of the Drainage Act landowners wishing to obtain drainage must submit, to the municipality, a petition in the form as ATTACHED.  For a petition to be valid it must contain the signature(s) of:

a)  the majority in numbers of the owners; or b) the owner or owners representing at least 60% of the area; or c) where a drainage works is required for a road the person having jurisdiction over such road or d) where the drainage works is required for the drainage of agricultural lands and the petition is signed by the Director.

For information about municipal drains, please refer to:   Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs.

Farm Tile Loans 

The Township also administers the Farm Tile Drain Loan Debenture applications on behalf of the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs, contact the Township office for details and application form.

Contact Information

Drainage Superintendent
Scott Richardson
Email:  srichardson@northperth.ca
Tel:  1-888-714-1993  Ext. 2059



Powered by CivicWeb CMS - © Copyright 2012 iCompass Technologies Inc.

background image for perth south