Public Works

 Public Works



The Public Works Department is responsible for the maintenance of all roads, sidewalks and curbs under the Municipality's jurisdiction. The road network consists of approximately 293 km of roads and streets comprising a mixture of urban and rural roads. This includes all matters related to transportation services including municipal road maintenance, construction and winter control.

Our employees are well trained and fully qualified to perform their duties. They make every effort to insure that road maintenance and construction operations are carried out efficiently, with both the safety of the public and the workers in mind.



Contact Information

Ken Bettles
Director of Public Works
Township of Perth South
3191 Road 122
St. Pauls, ON N0K 1V0 

Phone: 519-271-0619, ext. 230
Fax: 519-271-0647

Mark Elston
Operations Manager/Foreman
Phone: 519-271-0619, ext. 226

Bill Doupe, Operations Manager, retired from the Township on May 26, 2017.

 Roadside Ditches

Each year, your tax dollars contribute approximately $1,520,000 to the maintenance of roadside ditches. This money is spent predominantly on equipment costs and internal labour charges. We will work with any and all property owners to limit the impact of the ditch on rural lands, and encourage property owners to maintain the ditch in a tidy (landscaped) fashion.

Yet, each year we note a number of property owners and/or farm tenants plow their fields through our ditches to enable the planting of crops to the road edge. Roadside ditches have the sole purpose of draining water from the roadways. The inability to drain water from the roads contributes to premature failure of the road foundation thus adding to the tax burden for all residents and potentially creating an unsafe motoring condition.

Landowners and tenants that plow through the ditches may be charged the full costs for restoring the appropriate ditch. This work will be completed on our time-line regardless of whether crops are present or not.


If you are unsure of the location of your property boundaries along a roadway, please contact the Municipal Office for assistance .

Road Allowances

Residents are asked not to plant trees or place other objects such as rocks on the road property. Most Township road allowances are 20 metres (66 feet); or 10 metres (33 feet) from the center line. If you intend to plant vegetation or install a fence along the road, please contact our office and we will gladly meet with you. Entrances are limited to one per lot. A second may be granted if the lot has a frontage of 150 metres (500 feet) or more. Lots that are being built on and need an entrance are required to obtain a permit which requires a refundable deposit that will be returned on completion provided damage is not done to the entrance or road.

Feedback and Concerns

If you desire a change in the traffic control (speed reduction, stop signs, etc.) on the roadway in front of or near your home or business, or if you have a comment to make about the roads in Perth South, please email Ken Bettles, Director of Public Works. Please provide as much information as you can, regarding the location of your concern, the nature of your concern and desired outcome, and your contact information.

There is no guarantee that we can achieve your desired outcome, but we will respond to your request and advise you of actions we can take.



Powered by CivicWeb CMS - © Copyright 2012 iCompass Technologies Inc.

background image for perth south